We are a Class 4 petrol, diesel, hybrid and electric accredited MOT test station, approved to test passenger-carrying vehicles with up to eight passenger seats.
You can tax your car online (as long as you have a current MOT and insurance for that vehicle) at gov.uk/vehicle-tax
The MOT test is a minimum standard for road safety – it’s a snapshot of the condition of your car on the day it is presented. Like all good garages, Hollier & Sons recommend you have your car serviced following your MOT.
Book your MOT – Call 0121 472 3848 today
We inspect your vehicle using DVSA-approved equipment to a given procedure. We assess the following:
● VIN Vehicle Identification Number—vehicle identification number permanently displayed and legible on a vehicle first used on or after 1 August 1980
● Registration plate—condition, security, legibility and format of letters/numbers
● Lights—condition, operation, security and correct colour; headlamps will also be checked to see if the aim is correct
● Steering and Suspension—correct condition and operation
● Wipers and washers—operating to give the driver a clear view of the road
● Windscreen—condition and driver’s view of the road
● Horn—correct operation and type
● Seatbelts—all installed seatbelts are checked for type, condition, operation and security; all compulsory seatbelts must be in place
● Seats—front seats secure; front and rear seats can be secured in the upright position
● Fuel system—no leaks, fuel cap fastens correctly and seals securely; the fuel cap will need to be opened, please make sure the key is available
● Exhaust emissions—vehicle meets the requirement for exhaust emission (these vary on the age and fuel type of the vehicle)
● Exhaust system—complete, secure, without serious leaks, silences effectively
● Vehicle structure—free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas, no sharp edges
● Doors—can open and close, latch securely in closed position; front doors can open from both inside and outside the vehicle; rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items
● Mirrors—presence, condition, and security
● Wheels and tyres—condition, security, tyre size and type, tread depth; spare tyres are not tested
● Brakes—condition, operation, and performance (efficiency test); suitable vehicles will be tested on a roller brake tester; vehicles such as those with permanent 4-wheel drive will be tested either on a suitable road using a properly calibrated and maintained decelerometer
N.B. We do not remove the wheels and tyres as part of the MOT to inspect the condition of the brakes, and will only report on wear if we can see the pads and discs through the wheels at the time of test. To be sure that your car is in good working order and there are no hidden problems with brakes etc., we recommend a full service following your MOT.